- The best snowboard equipment manufacturers
- Types of snowboard jackets
- The main criteria for choosing a snowboard jacket
- How to choose the right snowboard jacket size
The best snowboard equipment manufacturers
Quality equipment for snowboarding and skiing is currently produced by many companies, but preference should be given to trusted companies specializing in the production of clothing from various membrane fabrics:
- Ice Pick
- The North Face
The models of the above manufacturers are excellent for both active skiing and everyday use. This is evidenced by numerous reviews on the Internet – both on forums and in social networks.
Types of snowboard jackets
Without exception, all snowboarding jackets are modern equipment based on membrane fabrics. It is thanks to them that the very notorious characteristics of vapor permeability and moisture resistance are provided, which are key when choosing good snowboard equipment.
Depending on the types of membraneAll jackets are divided into three types
- Jackets based on a non-porous membrane. As the name implies, this material is devoid of pores – holes designed to pass moisture particles. The removal here is carried out according to the osmotic principle – once on the surface of the membrane, a droplet seeps out, and a special top layer prevents its penetration back. The disadvantages of such jackets include slow moisture removal, as well as high cost;
- Porous membrane jackets. The design of such models is simpler – moist air is removed outside through a special porous structure, due to which the “breathing” characteristics of these models are at a fairly high level. The disadvantages of such models include the rapid failure of the membrane during improper operation, as well as whimsical care and washing;
- Jackets made from combined membrane fabrics are something in common from the two types described above, thanks to which it was possible to bring together the advantages and eliminate all the disadvantages. There is only one left – these jackets are very expensive.
The main criteria for choosing a snowboard jacket
Equipment should be chosen based on the exact correspondence of the size to one’s own anatomical features. An overly small jacket will cause a lot of discomfort and hinder movement, while a jacket that is too large will not be able to carry out proper thermoregulation, which can cause the rider to sweat and freeze. You can’t do without trying on a jacket before buying, but it should be done for the equipment that will be used when skiing.
An important point that affects the comfort and dryness during your stay in nature. As a rule, jackets begin to leak along the seam, and therefore all seams without exception must be glued. This is evidenced by the inscription “all seams are sealed” on the tag of the jacket. This information should be double-checked – many, especially budget manufacturers, glue only those seams that are located in the visibility zone, leaving untreated areas hidden from human eyes.
Cuffs and zippers, pockets
Little things that have a significant impact on comfort while riding:
- The cuffs should be made of soft rubber material and have a two-layer structure, thereby eliminating the passage of moisture inside during active driving. The material of the inner layer should be soft and pleasant to the touch – this is the only way to avoid discomfort;
- The zipper of the jacket is processed with a special composition, which excludes the passage of moisture inside. Its design should be of considerable size so that it is convenient to unfasten and fasten without removing gloves;
- Pockets are also important. Deep and dense, they must be equipped with special dense linings, as well as securely fastened with a zipper to prevent moisture from getting inside;
Moisture resistance of the membrane
Indicates the amount of precipitation that the jacket can withstand in a certain period of time without leaking.
- The minimum acceptable value is 5000 millimeters. This jacket can withstand long light rain;
- Most models of the middle price range have moisture resistance at the level of 10-20 thousand millimeters. It is quite sufficient for most operating conditions;
- The most advanced and, accordingly, expensive models of jackets have moisture resistance at the level of 30-40 thousand millimeters. Such a membrane can easily withstand a serious downpour and at the same time not get wet.
Membrane vapor permeability
An indicator indicating the amount of moisture removed by one square meter in 24 hours. The higher this parameter, the better.
- The base value that can provide acceptable comfort is 5000 m2/sq.m.;
- The average value typical for most models is 10000 g / sq.m;
- The best models from well-known manufacturers can boast of a membrane that drains from 20 to 30 thousand grams per square meter of tissue in one day;
We should not forget that membrane jackets are extremely whimsical to care for, and therefore it is strictly forbidden to wash them in a washing machine along with ordinary clothes. Cleaning of such equipment is carried out exclusively in manual mode with the addition of various air conditioners for the membrane and products recommended by the manufacturer of the material.
How to choose the right size for your snowboard jacket?
Choosing a snowboard jacket is a two-step process:
- First of all, it is necessary to study the indicated size and compare it with the clothes worn. This information is printed on the label and presented in the form of classical numbering, as well as the closest foreign analogues;
- Having picked up the appropriate size, the jacket is tried on. For this purpose, it is necessary to resort to the clothing or thermal underwear that will be used when skiing. The jacket should sit comfortably, not constrain movements and not cause discomfort when performing active exercises.
In the following articles, our experts will tell you how to choose snowboard bindings and the secrets of choosing snowboard boots.